Friday, August 31, 2012

Tank Lift. Yep!

     So ok, I was recently like "hey, I wanna raise my tank and stuff the side wires up under that large tunnel that would present lots of cool streamlining aesthetics."  But also, guess what it'd do, it'd let lots of air flow over the tops of my heads for more air cooling ability, especially in hotter climates.  More air-flow is better.  Also, I  noticed that the wire harness was just zip-tied into the sides of these fancy looking black pannels that hang left and right of the frame bar under my tank, and over my heads.  This means as my bike heats up, that heat rises and gets trapped right directly up and between those black pannels where all my little wires are just zip-tied-exposed to.   So lifting my wires further away from the heat source is also beneficial to the health of my electronics.

       So one day (last week), I decided to unbolt my front tank bolt, and lift that thing up to see what kinda lift I can get out of it.  Whooooaaaa, that's a lot of room.  I was able to fit my whole arm under that gap.   So then I started clipping the zip-ties away from the plastic thingy's and pulled the mounts off the bike to reveal just the frame and the tank gap and lots of loose colorful wires.  I started unplugging the wiring connections and once I got the meat of it all separated, I ran the wires up and over the frame and re-connected the plugs.

      So now the wires were lifted and out of the way of the heads, and my tank had a rake that was high as hell, and I loved it.  I salvaged some zip ties and fed them together to make one long one, that I wrapped around the wires in one main spot to keep them up and tidy.  But ass soon as I could I made a nifty little cushioning brace out of duct-tape and then put some new zip-ties around the top of that so as to reduce any small surface area friction to happen between the zip-tie and my small wires.  And now my bike is rolling cool, and love the rake on my tank.



And here is the clearance that the lift did.  As you can see the wires are now lifted out of the majority of the heat band from the heads.  More airflow and cooling ability to the heads (important on air cooled motors).  I do plan on side-mounting that little black thing over the front head, and putting it on the side of the engine.



duct-tape for everything!  Doubled over non-adhesive on the parts over the wires for easy removal and maintenance.  El Zip Tie holding it there for posterity, although the tape is adhered to the frame and doing some actual work.



Know what that is?  It's stuff for wood and frame construction band stuff.  I had these leftover from a furniture project in my tool box.  Being the resourceful type, I drilled a couple holes on em, and whabam! I had the fancy new tank lift mounts.  Throw a little permanent marker on em, and no one would ever guess that I didn't spend hundreds of dollars on those beautifully manufactured mounts.  





Here have a photo:

My roommates old work boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment