Monday, March 19, 2012

Air Cleaners

I have my air cleaner off my bike and I'm looking or should I say, have been looking for a replacement upgrade for quite sometime.  Putting it off for so long, means my current air cleaner is now caked black with road nasties, and oil and dirt buildup is the obvious perpetrator as to why my bikes lungs aren't getting the air it needs.  I've been picking around the major biker part companies all morning, looking for good air filter kit replacements.  I went to S&S, J&P, Biltwell, and K&N sites to see what they had.  After seeing what shape options I had to choose from, I then started to compare the stats, particularly horse power gain.  Due to lack of information on some items listed on their websites, I had to dig into the products personal company profiles.  I liked how the K&N site had their stats right up front so I didn't have to dig for the info.  Their filters ranged from either a 4.4hp to 8.75hp gain.  The numbers are believable, but on the Aircharger, which I liked having 8.75hp gain, I was a bit more concerned for its stability, and durability, since I tend to be rough with things, and like them to stand up to my brutish on the road ways.  I then started trying to find reliable stats on the Arlen Ness Big Sucker filter I liked.  Some sites I didn't trust, cause I wasn't believing the trumped up horse power stats, and lack of reliable testing.  And then I found the review I'd been looking for on the Big Sucker.  They had good photos and they had it hooked up to a computer system, to give a reliable readout on the horse power gain.  It's about a 6, which is still less than the K&N's impressive 8.75, but I like the stable shape of the Big Sucker.  I'm still trying to figure out more options.  But I thought I'd bring you this little story of my hunt.  A work in progress.  I will have a new air cleaner kit on my bike by the end of the week.  The sooner the better.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment