Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Devils Tower and Battle at Little Bighorn! 2016

Ok so today I was officially back to my solo DirtyFree2016 U.S. adventures.  After an awesome day of riding to Devils Tower and getting to camp at it's campground, I was off early to make it out to the infamous Battle at Little Bighorn, up in Montana.  I stopped at a rad roadside biker dive for a post breakfast beer, where I tried a lager that is made locally.  The bar was dark, dingy, and filled with ancient artifacts affixed to the ceiling.  The older woman running the place was tattooed like a leopard, and I was immediately in love.  Said she was from Huntington Beach originally.  I sat for a spell and chatted her and the cook.  Had the place to myself.  Then I was back on the road to the battlefield.  I'm a sucker for Indian Trading posts, so I pretty much stopped at anything with a Teepee and some furs in front of it.  Then before I knew it, after a quick pee down a dirt road in the forest, I was finally at Battle at Little Bighorn.  My nifty National Park Pass got me in.  I love this thing.  Spent a few hours there doing the 5 mile battle tour ride, exploring the museum, and hiking up the hill and around the monuments.  What an amazing piece of history.   I left with about 2 hours o daylight to ride, but that sun always goes down sooner than one expects, so it got darker, and the weather got colder, with much more crisp content to the air.  I rode till it was way to cold to not be wearing a leather jacket.  I was waving my arms around for blood flow.   But before any leather would go on, I would find myself at a campground in a mountain town in southern Montana, just outside Yellowstone, which would explain the sudden drop in temperature and loss of feeling in my finger tips.  I had nothing but help in this charming little town.  When I rolled up to get a tent camping spot, the hosts were like "you're kidding right?  In this cold weather?"  I said "you got anything better in mind?" The lady said "yeah, how bout a cabin?"  I said "how much?"  She said "30$"  and I said "sold."  Evidently anyone tenting in these parts freezes to death lately, so the fact that they offered me a cabin for 5$ more than what a tent camping site was gonna cost me, I feel like I just won the lottery. Haha   And  Maybe that's my mojo for saving the life of a 5 legged spider this morning.  It was a great day.



And keeping with the fun devils themed trip, the address of the campground just happened to be "6664" hahaha.

See you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment